As members of the ELCA, we believe that we are freed in Christ to serve and love our neighbor. With our hands, we do God’s work of restoring and reconciling communities in Jesus Christ’s name throughout the world.
A Brief History of the Congregation
In 1912, a group of faithful Michigan City Lutherans wanted a change. Back in those days, the Lutheran church in our city, St. Paul, conducted their worship services in German. The founders of St. Luke wanted to conduct their services in the language of their new country: English. Thus, St. Luke English Lutheran Church was founded.
During those early years, the congregation met and held their worship services at the YMCA. In 1915, the first house of worship for St. Luke English Lutheran Church was built, a the corner of pearl and Lafayette Streets in Michigan City. The congregation remained there until 1969, when it moved to a brand new building at 2000 E. Coolspring Avenue in Trail Creek.
In 2002, members of St. Luke voted to merge with the Lutheran Church of the Dunes, which had formerly existed at U.S. 12. The two churches became one, housed in the 2000 E. Coolspring location -- and to mark this momentous occasion, the name of the congregation was changed to St. Luke United Lutheran Church.